Friday, February 4, 2011

Book Report For I Am Fifteen and Don't Want To Die

Letter Of Recommendation
Dear Grade 8 Student,
I just finished reading the book I am Fifteen and Don't Want To Die.  This book was an exhilerating story about a girl named Christine and her family trying to live through WWII.
They go through a series of dangerous encounters and tough decisions.  They have to learn how to cope with living with other families in a small cellar and strategize to get food and water.
If you like action, emotion, scary, and mature stories, I highly recommend you read this book. 
It's a really good story and I really enjoyed reading it.  It's not a very long book but it packs a lot of action into it.  This story helps you to kind of visualize what it'd be like living through WWII.
So if you like what I've explained above, you'd really like this book.  I hope you read it and find it as fascinating as I did.
Sincerely,
Larissa

Abandoned: Alternate Ending
We had finally arrived, getting into the new town and new life.
"Dad, are you alright?"  I asked, looking back to see my father on the ground.
I didn't get a response so my mother went to see what was wrong.  My father is aging so I didn't think much of it, maybe he was just tired.
I went and grabbed one of his arms as my mother got the other.  We walked over to a tree and we settled there for the night.
Once morning came, we shook my dad awake.  He still wasn't feeling well so we wanted to get to somewhere where someone could help.
About a half hour of walking, we found a coffee shop.  Someone offered to take my father to a hospital in a nearby town.
We ended up going and my father was fine, just a bit dehydrated.  The man offered us his cabin in the country for a few extra helping hands at his restaurant.
So we began our new life, regretting nothing and being fortunate for everything that came our way.

Inner Conflicts
1. Some inner conflicts that Christine faced were:
-Whether she was going to live or die.
-To help others or to help herself.
-To water the horses or to keep it for herself.
-To go to the Turkish baths for water or to stay safe in the cellar.

2A. Whether she was going to live or die was something Christine struggled with everyday.  She wanted to live but she knew any day could be her last.
B. To help others or to help herself was also something she struggled with since she was living in a cellar with tons of other people.  She always wanted to help everyone but she also knew she needed to take care of herself.
C. To water the horses or to keep it for herself (to be generous or to be selfish) was something she struggled with because she felt so bad for the horses.  They were eating the banisters upstairs and she really wanted to help them out, so she did give them water.  It was a self less decision and a good choice.
D. To go to the Turkish baths for water or to stay safe in the cellar was a hard decision her choice depended on her safety and well being.  She ended up going, but dodging bullets and bombs the whole way.

3. Christine struggled with her life or death situation but ultimately made the best choices for herself and she lived.
Christine always wanted to help others and herself.  In the story she eneded up doing a little bit of both.  Helping others made her feel good and helping herself kept her alive.
Christine never wanted to be selfish but she didn't want to trust everyone.  She ended up making a few new friends and saved herself at the same time.  Christine went to the Turkish baths, risking her own safety, but she helped the horses when she got back which made her proud of herself.



No comments:

Post a Comment